Park and City Gardener, Seasonal 2021
These positions will perform a variety of horticulture maintenance duties pertaining to the overall care and upkeep of grounds located in the Parks, Cemetery, and other City owned facilities.
Pay: $11 to $16.50 / hour depending upon position
The purpose is to support the department's operational responsibilities in key areas of horticulture with a minor amount of arboriculture duties. Its mission is to provide safe, professionally maintained and aesthetically attractive parks and public green spaces that provide opportunities for active and passive recreation while enhancing the quality of life and contributing to the value and attractiveness of O'Fallon as a place to live and visit.
The availability of positions varies throughout the year with the highest volume of hiring occurring in January through March but it is always a good time to apply for a position if you are interested. The City and Park Gardener seasonal employment begins in March and normally concludes in November.
We are seeking energetic and highly motivated individuals who enjoy working outdoors to fill Gardening Crew Member positions. Previous gardening/landscaping experience is preferred but not required. Must be able to do the following:
- Be reliable and dependable.
- Have the desire to work hard.
- Be able to stay busy and productive.
- Follow instructions.
- Work in adverse weather conditions and in an outdoor environment.
- Be willing to learn and take pride in your work.
- Work well with others in a team environment.
GARDENING CREW LEADER ($15 -16.50 per hour):
The Gardening Crew Leader is a production and performance multiplier and is held to the highest levels of performance and productivity. We are seeking one highly motivated team-oriented individual with the confidence to effectively exercise and exert positive field leadership over seasonal staff performance. As a Gardening Crew Leader, you must be a hardworking, quality driven individual, be able to identify problems and exercise initiative to solve them, be detailed oriented, display an aptitude for gardening and landscape maintenance work and a willingness to learn and teach others. The Gardening Crew Leader receives a higher pay, and the position provides a great opportunity to gain leadership experience in a structured and supportive environment.
Requirements to fulfill the Gardening Crew Leader position are as follows:
- Have a minimum of 2 years’ experience in a gardening/landscaping related professional position.
- Experience managing 2-6 employees.
- Basic plant maintenance knowledge including identification, proper planting and individual plant maintenance.
- Experience using power hand tools and small equipment such as weed trimmer, bed edger or other.
- Ability to drive a pickup truck with a trailer.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work 40 hours per week March through November.
REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL PARK AND CITY GARDENING POSITIONS:
- 17 years of age or older;
- Must have an email address to receive work correspondence;
- Have a checking or savings account in order to receive electronic paycheck deposit;
- Ability to efficiently and courteously interact with people;
- Qualities such as competence, independence, self-sufficiency, dependability;
- Ability to walk, run, stand, and sit and complete a variety of motor skills;
- Ability to lift and carry 30-70 pounds regularly;
- Ability to hear and see well;
- Valid driver's license in good standing (clear driving record);
- Ability to work staggered shift assignments as necessary including evenings and weekends;
- Ability to work in hot, cold, wet and/or other unpleasant outdoor conditions;
- Ability to use or learn to use a variety of tools and equipment;
- Strong customer service skills;
- Must be self-motivated and poses the ability to be productive with limited supervision;
- Regular attendance.
Our objective is to hire, develop and retain exceptional individuals that help us achieve our operational responsibilities. Positions are filled through a competitive application and interview process. For additional questions or to request more detailed information contact: Sarah Burton, Horticulturist (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Apply at website.